In the tradition of Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation, a groundbreaking global investigation into the industry ravaging the environment and global health--from the James Beard Award-winning journalist
Over the past few decades, palm oil has seeped into every corner of our lives. Worldwide, palm oil production has nearly doubled in just the last decade: oil-palm plantations now cover an area nearly the size of New Zealand, and some form of the commodity lurks in half the products on U.S. grocery shelves. But the palm oil revolution has been built on stolen land and slave labor; it's swept away cultures and so devastated the landscapes of Southeast Asia that iconic animals now teeter on the brink of extinction. Fires lit to clear the way for plantations spew carbon emissions to rival those of industrialized nations.
James Beard Award-winning journalist Jocelyn C. Zuckerman spent years traveling the globe, from Liberia to Indonesia, India to Brazil, reporting on the human and environmental impacts of this poorly understood plant. The result is Planet Palm, a riveting account blending history, science, politics, and food as seen through the people whose lives have been upended by this hidden ingredient.
This groundbreaking work of first-rate journalism compels us to examine the connections between the choices we make at the grocery store and a planet under siege.
#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLEROur earliest experiences shape our lives far down the road, and What Happened to You? provides powerful scientific and emotional insights into the behavioral patterns so many of us struggle to understand. "Through this lens we can build a renewed sense of personal self-worth and ultimately recalibrate our responses to circumstances, situations, and relationships. It is, in other words, the key to reshaping our very lives."--Oprah Winfrey This book is going to change the way you see your life. Have you ever wondered Why did I do that? or Why can't I just control my behavior? Others may judge our reactions and think, What's wrong with that person? When questioning our emotions, it's easy to place the blame on ourselves; holding ourselves and those around us to an impossible standard. It's time we started asking a different question. Through deeply personal conversations, Oprah Winfrey and renowned brain and trauma expert Dr. Bruce Perry offer a groundbreaking and profound shift from asking "What's wrong with you?" to "What happened to you?" Here, Winfrey shares stories from her own past, understanding through experience the vulnerability that comes from facing trauma and adversity at a young age. In conversation throughout the book, she and Dr. Perry focus on understanding people, behavior, and ourselves. It's a subtle but profound shift in our approach to trauma, and it's one that allows us to understand our pasts in order to clear a path to our future--opening the door to resilience and healing in a proven, powerful way.
You'll never know where to start...until you start. This gutsy guidebook will help anyone who's procrastinating on a goal, career change, or business idea stop the obsessive worrying and leap into action. As a 24-year-old line cook, Ellen Marie Bennett couldn't stand the kitchen staff's poorly designed, cheaply made aprons. So when her head chef announced he was ordering a new batch, she blurted out, "Chef, I have an apron company"--even though she had no company, no business plan--just a glimmer of a design idea and a business license. Through hustle and a willingness to leap into the unknown, time and time again, she built that first order into a multi-million-dollar company called Hedley & Bennett, making aprons and kitchen gear worn by many of the world's best chefs and home cooks everywhere. Dream First, Details Later shares Ellen's journey and her forged-in-the-fire personal playbook for starting before you stop yourself. If you've ever imagined doing something and immediately thought, that's impossible, or I wouldn't even know where to start, or I'm not qualified to do that, in these pages, you'll learn how to shove aside your inner worrier and launch into action. This honest and bold illustrated book will be like having Ellen--your personal hype woman--there with you, all the while yelling, Don't stop You got this She'll share hard-won advice on: - Squashing doubts and reservations about venturing outside your comfort zone. (These doubts masquerade as rational, but they're more likely coming from a place of fear.)
- Saying screw it to the perfect plan and using creative problem-solving--and heart and guts--to conquer the shit storms as they come.
- Eventually transitioning from the flying by the seat of your pants stage to the well-oiled machine stage. You don't need to have all the answers to make your dream a reality. You just need to start before you're ready.
- Using onion skins to dye wool
- Alkanet root and lavender soap
- Soapwort multipurpose cleaner
- Rose petal facial mist
- Edible flower frittata
- Healing calendula skin salve
- Paper mache leaf lanterns
- Chamomile tincture
- Gardening projects, including a herb spiral, strawberry pallet planter, and more
A guide to some of the world's most fascinating places, as seen and experienced by writer, television host, and relentlessly curious traveler Anthony Bourdain
Anthony Bourdain saw more of the world than nearly anyone. His travels took him from the hidden pockets of his hometown of New York to a tribal longhouse in Borneo, from cosmopolitan Buenos Aires, Paris, and Shanghai to Tanzania's utter beauty and the stunning desert solitude of Oman's Empty Quarter--and many places beyond.
In World Travel, a life of experience is collected into an entertaining, practical, fun and frank travel guide that gives readers an introduction to some of his favorite places--in his own words. Featuring essential advice on how to get there, what to eat, where to stay and, in some cases, what to avoid, World Travel provides essential context that will help readers further appreciate the reasons why Bourdain found a place enchanting and memorable.
Supplementing Bourdain's words are a handful of essays by friends, colleagues, and family that tell even deeper stories about a place, including sardonic accounts of traveling with Bourdain by his brother, Christopher; a guide to Chicago's best cheap eats by legendary music producer Steve Albini, and more. Additionally, each chapter includes illustrations by Wesley Allsbrook.
For veteran travelers, armchair enthusiasts, and those in between, World Travel offers a chance to experience the world like Anthony Bourdain.
When Jeff Mauro was growing up in his big Italian American family in Chicago, his mother would often be on the phone talking to cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and family friends. Her favorite phrase? Come on over! When Jeff heard those three words, he and his siblings knew company was coming and there would be good food to accompany their visit. A boy who loved to eat and make people laugh, Jeff was in heaven.
Now the host of the Emmy-nominated The Kitchen on Food Network, Jeff still loves entertaining with his family. For Jeff, there’s no better way to create shared memories than over a good meal. In Come on Over he invites everyone to share in the fun, providing delicious recipes for all occasions, from game day to birthdays to brunch, along with fun stories from his life. Whatever the get-together, Jeff has the perfect food to make it memorable-and make everyone feel like family.
Jungalow is the term coined by Justina for the brand that embodies her wild, but cozy and homey, style. Copycats abound, but there is no other book like this one--offering Justina's authentic, encouraging voice and approachable, signature style.
Inspiring, revealing, and deeply relatable, Being a Ballerina is a firsthand look at the realities of life as a professional ballet dancer. Through episodes from her own career, Gavin Larsen describes the forces that drive a person to study dance; the daily balance that dancers navigate between hardship and joy; and the dancer's continual quest to discover who they are as a person and as an artist.
Starting with her arrival as a young beginner at a class too advanced for her, Larsen tells how the embarrassing mistake ended up helping her learn quickly and advance rapidly. In other stories of her early teachers, training, and auditions, she explains how she gradually came to understand and achieve what she and her body were capable of.
Larsen then re-creates scenes from her experiences in dance companies, from unglamorous roles to exhilarating performances. Working as a ballerina was shocking and scary at first, she says, recalling unexpected injuries, leaps of faith, and her constant struggle to operate at the level she wanted--but full of enormously rewarding moments. Larsen also reflects candidly on her difficult decision to retire at age 35.
An ideal read for aspiring dancers, Larsen's memoir will also delight experienced dance professionals and fascinate anyone who wonders what it takes to live a life dedicated to the perfection of the art form.
**New York Times Bestseller**
From Erin French, owner of the critically acclaimed The Lost Kitchen, a TIME world dining destination, a life-affirming memoir about survival, renewal, and finding a community to lift her up
Including the first materia medica of 26 plants and herbs essential to Ashkenazi folk medicine, Ashkenazi Herbalism sheds light on the preparations, medicinal profiles, and applications of a rich but previously unknown herbal tradition--one hidden by language barriers, obscured by cultural misunderstandings, and nearly lost to history. Written for new and established practitioners, it offers illustrations, provides information on comparative medicinal practices, and illuminates the important historical and cultural contexts that gave rise to Eastern European Jewish herbalism.
Part I introduces a brief history of the Ashkenazim and provides an overview of traditional medicine among Eastern European Jews. Part II offers a comparative overview of healing customs among Jews of the Pale of Settlement, their many native plants, and the remedies applied by local healers to treat a range of illnesses. This materia medica names each plant in Yiddish, English, Latin, and other relevant languages, and the book also details a brief history of medicine; the roles of the ba'alei shem, feldshers, opshprekherins, midwives, and brewers; and the remedy books used by Jewish healers.
- What nutrients are specifically tied to fertility and pregnancy, how much of each you need, why you need it, and which food sources are best
- Which plant-based protein sources promote pregnancy without disrupting hormone levels
- Why men's fertility is just as important as women's, and which foods can increase sperm motility and health
- How to add pregnancy-friendly fats to your diet
- The truth about the link between body weight and fertility ...and much more, including a 4-week plan to get you started on the path to parenthood. A psychologist and mother herself, Dr. Avena also offers practical advice, as well as 40 delicious, simple recipes that you can easily incorporate into your lifestyle to create the best environment for your baby-to-be--one that will positively impact the whole family, all while feeling better than you've ever felt.
-Basic baby-approved purees that feature a wide range of fruits and veggies, from the simplest applesauce to a tasty garden vegetable and lentil mash
-Functional snacks like teething biscuits for babies to chew or homemade puffed treats that toddlers will love to pick up for improved motor skills
-And finger foods that sound so delicious you'll want to try them yourself, like sweet potato fries, strawberry raspberry muffins, and whole wheat mac 'n' cheese These easy, appetizing recipes will ensure that your kids are getting all the nutrients they need with ingredients you love
Whether you're a graphic designer, an accounting expert, or an advertising guru, your special skills are in high demand. Let the experts at Entrepreneur show you how to capitalize on your talents and help others achieve their business goals.
With new and revised chapters, consulting and coaching expert Terry Rice presents his tested, repeatable framework to creating a steady stream of referrals--and so much more. Dive in and learn how to:
More people than ever are committing themselves to serving their communities and changing the world. Whether you're aiming to protect the environment, support the arts, or help people in need, understanding how to set up a solid nonprofit organization is a great foundation for being as effective as you can be.
With practical advice, legal information, tips, and step-by-step instructions, this essential guide will help you get your nonprofit up and running--and keep it going! It explains how to:
- develop a strategic plan and budget
- recruit and manage board members, volunteers, and staff
- market your organization to your target audience
- raise money including traditional methods and crowdfunding
- build a website, use social media strategically, and avoid copyright troubles
- adopt policies that are legally sound
- and much more
Whether you are dreaming of starting a nonprofit or are already in the trenches, Starting and Building a Nonprofit will help your organization make a real difference in the world. The fully updated ninth edition contains new material on developing and implementing meaningful diversity, equity, and inclusion policies within your organization. It also covers recent changes to the law, including new incentives for donors under the CARES Act.
With Downloadable Forms
Download and customize essential forms, including Contractor Work-for-Hire Agreement, Volunteer Assignment Agreement, and sample budget forms. (details inside).
Learn how to write for the results you want every time, in every medium
Do you wish you could write better? In today's business world, good writing is key to success in just about every endeavor. Writing is how you connect with colleagues, supervisors, clients, partners, employees, and people you've never met. No wonder strong writers win the jobs, promotions and contracts. Business Writing For Dummies shows you, from the ground up, how to create persuasive messages with the right content and language every time--messages your readers will understand and act on.
This friendly guide equips you with a step-by-step method for planning what to say and how to say it in writing. This sytem empowers you to handle every writing challenge with confidence, from emails to proposals, reports to resumes, presentations to video scripts, blogs to social posts, websites to books. Discover down-to-earth techniques for sharpening your language and correcting your own writing problems. Learn how to adapt content, tone and style for each medium and audience. And learn to use every message you write to build better relationships and solve problems, while getting to the "yes" you want.
Whether you're aiming to land your first job or are an experienced specialist in your field, Business Writing For Dummies helps you build your communication confidence and stand out.
- Present yourself with authority and credibility
- Understand and use the tools of persuasion
- Communicate as a remote worker, freelancer, consultant or entrepreneur
- Strategize your online presence to support your goals
- Bring out the best in people and foster team spirit as a leader
- Prepare to ace interviews, pitches and confrontations
Good communication skills, particularly writing, are in high demand across all industries. Use this book to gain the edge you need to promote your own success, now and down the line as your career goals evolve.
- ORGANIZATION MADE EASY: This book gives readers easy, elegant ways to declutter their homes and organize their belongings, whether they live in an apartment or house, and includes simple tips for tidying and curating objects to bring order and simplicity to every room.
- JAPANESE TRADITIONS: Yumiko presents Japanese traditions for preparing food, arranging flowers, entertaining, organizing, and more. The combination of ancient practices and modern techniques makes this the perfect companion for anyone curious about Japanese culture and aesthetics.
- GIFT WORTHY: Presented in a linen-wrapped case and brimming with hundreds of gorgeous photographs and inspired advice for every home, this book is a perfect addition to any bookshelf and a lovely gift for new homeowners, newlyweds, and fans of organization and interior design. Perfect for: - Interior designers, minimalists, and fans of sustainability
- People who are into organizing their space
- Fans of Fog Linen Work
-At Home, with advice not only for the kitchen and food, but also for cleaning and home organization
-Travel, from commuting to vacations
-Fashion, including finding sustainable brands and caring for your clothing
-Community, helping you identify ways to make a broader impact beyond your home Beyond limiting your personal waste, learn about how you can reduce your "unseen" waste by making more eco-friendly choices, such as purchasing clothes with more sustainable fabrics and adopting a "Meatless Monday" regimen to help decrease your carbon footprint. If you're someone who wants to reduce waste in your daily life and make a positive impact on the planet without making drastic changes in your habits, then look no further. This highly accessible and practical guide will have you living a greener, more sustainable life that is (almost) zero waste in no time
"There is parenting magic in this book."--Michael Thompson, Ph.D., co-author of the New York Times bestselling classic Raising Cain One of the very best scientific predictors for how any child turns out--in terms of happiness, academic success, leadership skills, and meaningful relationships--is whether at least one adult in their life has consistently shown up for them. In an age of scheduling demands and digital distractions, showing up for your child might sound like a tall order. But as bestselling authors Daniel Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson reassuringly explain, it doesn't take a lot of time, energy, or money. Instead, showing up means offering a quality of presence. And it's simple to provide once you understand the four building blocks of a child's healthy development. Every child needs to feel what Siegel and Bryson call the Four S's: - Safe: We can't always insulate a child from injury or avoid doing something that leads to hurt feelings. But when we give a child a sense of safe harbor, she will be able to take the needed risks for growth and change.
- Seen: Truly seeing a child means we pay attention to his emotions--both positive and negative--and strive to attune to what's happening in his mind beneath his behavior.
- Soothed: Soothing isn't about providing a life of ease; it's about teaching your child how to cope when life gets hard, and showing him that you'll be there with him along the way. A soothed child knows that he'll never have to suffer alone.
- Secure: When a child knows she can count on you, time and again, to show up--when you reliably provide safety, focus on seeing her, and soothe her in times of need, she will trust in a feeling of secure attachment. And thrive Based on the latest brain and attachment research, The Power of Showing Up shares stories, scripts, simple strategies, illustrations, and tips for honoring the Four S's effectively in all kinds of situations--when our kids are struggling or when they are enjoying success; when we are consoling, disciplining, or arguing with them; and even when we are apologizing for the times we don't show up for them. Demonstrating that mistakes and missteps are repairable and that it's never too late to mend broken trust, this book is a powerful guide to cultivating your child's healthy emotional landscape.
All-Natural, Prep-Ahead Recipes for a Happy, Healthy BabyIt's a great feeling to know exactly what's in every spoonful you feed your baby. If you don't think you have the time or money to make baby food at home, Baby Food in an Instant and a multi-cooker will give you all the magic you need You can whip up fresh flavors and just-right textures that you and your baby will both love--from nutrient-packed purees, to satisfy those toothless smiles, to first finger foods as your baby grows. In just minutes and on a budget, Baby Food in an Instant guides you to great meals ready to satisfy and help your baby explore all kinds of amazing tastes. - More than 80 baby food recipes for every stage are designed with make-ahead prep and simple refrigerator and freezer storage in mind--so you spend your time snuggling, not stuck in the kitchen.
- A variety of puree flavors--from classic pea and carrot to more adventurous zucchini and bell pepper--help your baby take in a range of nutrients and develop taste buds that love to try new foods.
- Parent-to-parent tips help you buy the best fresh ingredients on a budget and adapt recipes for your family's needs. Nothing compares to the fresh taste of meals we make at home, including our little one's purees and finger foods. And now, with Tabitha Blue's Baby Food in an Instant, it's easier than ever to give your baby the best
- Use a natural loofah, not a synthetic sponge
- Buy milk in glass bottles or make homemade nut milk
- Opt for a waste-free shampoo bar
- Skip the printed receipt and opt for an email instead
- Wrap gifts beautifully with cloth
You don't need to feel alone in parenting. You don't need to feel like you're failing. And you definitely don't need another parenting book filled with theoretical advice about theoretical children. You need actual parenting help from an actual parent. It's time to feel confident in your parenting.
Susie Allison, creator of the massive online community Busy Toddler, is a breath of fresh air. With her humor and engaging personality, she helps parents find their footing, shift their perspective on childhood, and laugh at the twists and turns of parenting we all face. (Yes, it's ok that your child licked a shopping cart - they pretty much all do that.)
In Busy Toddler's Guide to Actual Parenting, Susie gives the achievable advice she's known for around the world, from daily life and #beingtwoisfine to tantrums and tattling and teaching the ABCs. The book also includes 50+ of her famous activities that have helped thousands of parents make it to nap time-FYI, the popsicle bath is a game-changer.Susie shares real moments raising her three kids as well as her professional knowledge from eight years as a kindergarten and 1st grade teacher. Her simple and doable approach to parenting will leave you feeling so much better
Let Susie give you the actual parenting advice you need.
In addition to 150 dazzling, healthy recipes that acknowledge the time constraints on working women, chapters in this revised edition are devoted to nutrition, weight gain, food safety, the postpartum diet, and how to eat when trying to conceive again.
Plan Your Landscape or Garden to Help Beloved Backyard Visitors
The presence of birds, bees, and butterflies suggests a healthy, earth-friendly place. These most welcome guests also bring joy to those who appreciate watching them. Now, you can turn your yard into a perfect habitat that attracts them and, more importantly, helps them thrive. Acclaimed author and expert entomologist Jaret C. Daniels provides all the information you need in this must-have guide for Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. You can learn how to landscape and create pollinator gardens with native plants.
The book begins with an in-depth introduction to native pollinators and to birds. It's followed by a "field guide" section to 109 native plants that are widely available to utilize, are easy to care for, and provide great benefit to birds, bees, and butterflies. The species are organized by level of sunlight needed and then by plant types. Each species includes full-color photographs and information about hardiness zones, what they are most likely to attract, soil requirements, light levels, and Jaret's notes. As an added bonus, you'll make use of blooming charts, tips on attracting specific species, and more Plus, the invaluable garden plans and projects show you just what to do and can be customized to suit your own specific interests.
Plan, plant, and grow your own beautiful garden, with native plants that benefit your favorite creatures to watch and enjoy.
Find inspiration in this collection of new and renovated cottages, from the heart of the rural countryside to a quiet suburb or city dwelling.
Country Cottages is filled with unique interior styles in comfortable settings spanning the United States. This book includes a selection of modern to traditional home styles from some of the finest architects and interior designers in the country.