Book a Librarian connects Homewood Library cardholders with a librarian for one-on-one help and skill-building. This free service is ideal for complicated questions and in-depth instruction on how to use the catalog, databases, and the Internet.
Sessions are typically one hour or less, with a maximum of two sessions per month.
Sessions may be booked Mondays through Fridays, morning or afternoon.
Typical Book a Librarian Sessions
Introduction the the Library
- Building tour
- Website tour
- Introduction to the catalog – how to find an item, place holds, manage your account
- Research beyond Google – using online research tools
- Downloading eBooks and other digital materials
- Help finding a good book or movie
- Overview of online genealogy research tools
Basic Computer Skills
- Introduction to the computer for the person who has never used one
- Using a mouse, keyboarding, managing files and folders
- Setting up and using an email account
- Internet basics
During a Book a Librarian session, we cannot:
- Offer advice (e.g. medical, legal, investment) except to advise you of reputable sources of evaluative information
- Assist you with completing your taxes
- Assist you with troubleshooting or maintenance on personal computers
- Set up a laptop
- Assist with credit card transactions
- Type documents
Schedule a Session
Complete the request form. We will respond to discuss your topic and to schedule a session. Three business days advance notice is required. Check in at the Library Services desk.
To cancel or reschedule please call 708-978-0121 ext. 216.